The Sun Also Shines – Part Three

In the third part of my series showing photographs taken on sunny days as opposed to my preferred, rather more dramatic weather days, I’ve included pictures of some of Iceland’s most iconic landmarks, in the sunshine.  Some of these images you will have seen before but I think they can stand a dusting off and a second showing. The reality for a lot of people visiting Iceland is a lot of very grey weather.  I’m lucky to have visited enough times now to capture some of these places at their very best.

The Seljalandsfoss pictures were bizarrely taken at midnight after a very long day of commercial photography in the central highlands for a Reykjavik car hire company.  Getting back to the apartment late after a long and difficult drive on deeply rutted dirt roads, I saw the barely setting sun and I knew my day wasn’t over.  I had to make the hour long drive to the falls.  I’m so glad that I did.

Click on the images for a larger, sharper view.. :-)

Skogafoss

SkogafossGodafoss

Godafoss

Hreyndýr í Álftafirði, East FjordsHreyndýr í ÁlftafirðiSeljalandsfoss

SeljalandsfossBúðir Church, Snaefellsnes Peninsular

Búðir churchSólfar (Sun Voyager) Sculpture, Reykjavik

SólfarGodafoss Dawn

Godafoss DawnJokulsarlon Sunrise

Jokulsarlon SunriseHeveravellir hot springs, Highlands, Central Iceland

HveravellirHaifoss

HaifossSeljalandsfoss

Seljalandsfoss 2Dettifoss

DettifossHvalnes

Hvalnes

I hope you’ve enjoyed this tour of Iceland on the sunny side over the last few posts.  I’ve been very lucky to visit Iceland many times now experiencing all seasons and all weathers.  An incredible and very beautiful place and very warm and welcoming people.  I have made a lot of friends in Iceland.  Their hospitality second to none.

Adrian Theze Photo logo_2

1. Great photos

August 5, 2016 at 2:02 pm

2. superb

August 5, 2016 at 2:08 pm

• Thank you Simon!

August 5, 2016 at 2:14 pm

• I went to Iceland decades back and I have some nice photos – but nothing like those

August 5, 2016 at 6:57 pm

• Thank you very much Simon. It’s a beautiful country and I’ve been lucky enough to capture some fabulous locations under perfect conditions.

August 7, 2016 at 7:39 am

3. Sue

Halfosss and Seljalandsfoss look stunning in the sunshine, and I must say I am quite taken with the other-worldly Heveravallir springs….

August 5, 2016 at 2:10 pm

• Thank you Sue. Being in the highlands in the centre of Iceland, the Hveravellir springs can only be reached in the summer months. They really are quite something. The colour of the boiling water bubbling up from the earth is like nothing I’ve ever seen before! :-)

August 5, 2016 at 2:19 pm

• Sue

That’s what struck me!

August 5, 2016 at 2:37 pm

• :-)

August 5, 2016 at 2:39 pm

4. Stunning captures…

August 5, 2016 at 2:14 pm

5. You capture the very best of the Icelandic landscape – fantastic.

August 5, 2016 at 2:37 pm

• Thank you so much Anne Christine! Iceland is a magical place! :-)

August 5, 2016 at 2:39 pm

6. Gorgeous photos.

August 5, 2016 at 2:39 pm

• Thank you very much Maralee! :-)

August 5, 2016 at 2:40 pm

7. hmunro

Your images are otherworldly — in the best possible sense! You so beautifully capture the quality of the light …

August 5, 2016 at 3:46 pm

• Thank you so much for your lovely comment! :-)

August 5, 2016 at 4:01 pm

8. Magnificent!

August 5, 2016 at 3:58 pm

• Thank you Michael. Iceland is a magnificent country!

August 5, 2016 at 4:01 pm

9. These are just stunning, and so dramatic. They must all be turned into large-scale prints! Love them. I cannot pick a favourite, but Hreyndýr í Álftafirði, East Fjords and Jokulsarlon Sunrise caught my immediate attention

August 5, 2016 at 4:02 pm

• Thank you very much Marina. A couple of these images have been curated for an exhibition to run from September to February here in the UK. :-)

August 5, 2016 at 4:06 pm

• Ooooh wow! congratulations. Can you share specifics?

August 5, 2016 at 8:28 pm

• Thank you Marina! I’m part of an exhibition that is going to be running at Musgrove Park Gallery in Taunton. The gallery’s remit is Art for Life. The exhibition is called Shoreline. :-)

August 7, 2016 at 7:30 am

10. Impressive gallery. You’ve still managed to find some dramatic skies on a few of those, even if the weather wasn’t threatening, and the landscapes suggest a path less traveled.

August 5, 2016 at 4:09 pm

• Thank you Dave. It’s been such a pleasure to be able to enjoy Iceland in all weathers and to be able to capture such a wide variety of photographs as a result.

August 7, 2016 at 7:43 am

11. Really breathtaking images, Adrian. Congrats on the UK exhibition. It’s hard to choose favourites, but I am very taken with the Seljalandsfoss and the Jokulsarlon Sunrise. Your photos are all so magnificent.

August 5, 2016 at 4:35 pm

• Thank you Sylvia! I really appreciate you lovely comment. I’m looking forward to the exhibition. :-)

August 7, 2016 at 7:28 am

12. Stunning photos of a stunning country. Well done with the exposure, y’r a star.

August 5, 2016 at 4:36 pm

• Thank you Paula, that’s so kind! :-)

August 7, 2016 at 7:41 am

13. Breathtaking! My daughter is back from Iceland and very happy.Great landscape en friendly people

August 5, 2016 at 4:39 pm

• I’m very glad your daughter enjoyed Iceland Lou. It truly is a magical place! :-)

August 7, 2016 at 7:41 am

14. Hard to comment on these images :)

Simply stunning :)

Thanks a lot for sharing …

August 5, 2016 at 4:46 pm

• It’s a pleasure Sreejith and thank you for your comment. Much appreciated!

August 7, 2016 at 7:41 am

15. riet

Beautiful pictures !!!

August 5, 2016 at 6:29 pm

16. Each one, absolutely sensational!

August 5, 2016 at 6:31 pm

17. Awesome photos masterfully composed. I especially like the Sun Voyager sculpture and the sunrise ice.

August 5, 2016 at 8:26 pm

• Thank you very much Emilio! Really appreciate that! :-)

August 7, 2016 at 7:38 am

18. Stunning. Just gorgeous photos.

August 5, 2016 at 9:01 pm

19. The sculpture in the Godafoss dawn image makes a striking foreground. Very impressive (as are the other images of course).

August 5, 2016 at 9:34 pm

• Thank you very much Vicki. I really appreciate your comment and I’m glad you enjoyed the images! :-)

August 7, 2016 at 7:37 am

20. Sooo amazing!!! Beautiful images magnificent piece of the planet! Thank you

August 5, 2016 at 10:10 pm

• Thank you so much Trees! Glad you enjoyed the pictures! :-)

August 7, 2016 at 7:36 am

21. They’re all amazing, but Hreyndýr í Álftafirði, East Fjords did me in!!!

August 5, 2016 at 10:46 pm

• Thank you so much Gunta. The reflections in the wet sand at low tide were pretty amazing. I also flew my drone across the sand and have some lovely video of this beautiful place. :-)

August 7, 2016 at 7:36 am

• I think that wet sand is one of the great features at the beach in Bandon. It does create that added touch to seascapes.

August 7, 2016 at 7:09 pm

• It certainly does Gunta! Thank you. :-)

August 8, 2016 at 5:13 pm

22. Beautiful selection of shots. Th colours are vibrant and the landscapes are spectacular.

On a technical note, how cold did it get while you were shooting? If very low, is your camera “officially” rated to that temperature?

August 6, 2016 at 12:22 am

• Thank you Mr Dragon. At times I was shooting in temperatures of -15°c with significant windchill. Strictly speaking that is way below the operational parameters of my D800e however, I didn’t run into any problems. The camera performed brilliantly unlike my fingers at those temperatures. :-)

August 7, 2016 at 7:34 am

• Thanks. I’ve been contemplating a trip to Canada in Winter, but the average temp far exceeds the recommended operating temp of the camera. Still researching it.

August 15, 2016 at 11:12 pm

• I found my camera did at times become a little sluggish, perhaps a little slower for the digital image to appear on the back screen but I was taking pictures in conditions where the windchill temp hit -50c. The camera wasn’t out in it long, nor was I as you can imagine, but I still got the pictures. If you’re hiking, I’d have thought if you just keep your camera close to your body and just bring it out from under your coat when you want to take the picture, I’d imagine you’d be fine. What camera do you use?

August 21, 2016 at 2:08 pm

• I found a blog post where the same camera as mine (Leica) was used in -30C without problem, so I think it’s OK. But I’m not sure that standing outside in that temp is really a holiday. I’ll give it some more thought. :)

August 22, 2016 at 10:35 am

• It has it’s moments but the frozen north is something that has to be experienced I think. You’ll be blown away by wilderness of this nature I have absolutely no doubt. As the saying goes, there’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing. :-)

August 22, 2016 at 2:04 pm

23. Yikes, they go on and on…and I haven’t had a chance to really look at your last two or three posts yet either!
    My favs here are Hreyndýr í Álftafirði, Sólfar (Sun Voyager) Sculpture, Reykjavik, Jokulsarlon Sunrise, Haifoss, Seljalandsfoss 2 and Hvalnes.

In Hvalnes is that a glacier pouring off the mountain on the right? Love the contrast in textures at that spot. And the black sand – wonderful stuff! I love the way that photo is elegantly simple in its basic shapes, but when you look closely there is so much going on – various textures, the tiny, far off houses, and a car I think. Man-made structures or evidence of humans (the sculpture e.g.) provides a pleasing balance to some of these images – the wildness is still manifest but we’re invited in by noticing evidence that we’ve been there. I don’t think that would be true of English landscapes – it’s the overwhelming rawness of Iceland that somehow is complemented (for me at least) by touches of the built environment.

August 6, 2016 at 12:32 am

• Thank you Lynn for your lovely comment. Hvalnes is one of my favourite places. Well done for spotting the car. There isn’t a glacier here, just evidence of the action of the snow and ice on the rocks over centuries. It is the wilderness of Iceland that attracts me so much to the country. It’s like witnessing the beginning of all things and this isn’t true of English landscapes. I think perhaps in the highlands of Scotland you’d get a similar sense. :-)

August 7, 2016 at 7:50 am

24. I don’t think that would be true IN THE SAME WAY of English landscapes – on thinking about it.

August 6, 2016 at 12:33 am

25. leecleland

Truly beautiful images, although I do like your moody stark winter ones these are like they are from a different place altogether. Thank you for sharing.

August 6, 2016 at 3:16 am

• My pleasure Lee and thank you for your lovely comment. Iceland in the sunshine is so very beautiful and yes, it does look like a different place altogether. :-)

August 7, 2016 at 7:25 am

26. I love the second Seljalandsfoss photo. It looks like a newly discovered planet, well they all do to be honest. Wonderful light and color.

August 6, 2016 at 6:00 am

• Thank you very much Marie! :-)

August 7, 2016 at 7:23 am

27. Beautiful and spectacular, great presentation

August 6, 2016 at 7:39 am

• Thank you very much Andy, much appreciated!

August 7, 2016 at 7:24 am

28. Spectacular views.

August 6, 2016 at 9:43 pm

29. Reat waterfalls…I like it…

August 7, 2016 at 11:35 am

30. fantastyczne krajobrazy

August 7, 2016 at 2:58 pm

• Islandia jest naprawdę bardzo piękna! Dziękuję Ci

August 8, 2016 at 5:11 pm

31. Brilliant images yet again Adrian and well worth the midnight trip to the falls 😊

August 7, 2016 at 3:35 pm

• It certainly was Mark. I was so tired but when I saw the light, I had to keep going! :-)

August 8, 2016 at 5:12 pm

32. Oh my! These are all so gorgeous, Adrian! Especially Hreyndýr… WOW.

August 7, 2016 at 4:38 pm

• Thank you so much Camilla! :-)

August 8, 2016 at 5:12 pm

33. Magical photography

August 8, 2016 at 8:43 pm

• Thank you Lou! Iceland is a magical place. Makes my job easy! :-)

August 9, 2016 at 9:51 am

34. All my fantasy worlds have come to life on one island it seems!!!! I have deduced that Foss means Falls but I will just think of it as standing for perfection :-)

August 9, 2016 at 12:55 am

• Foss does indeed mean falls Sarah. I’m so glad you enjoyed this sunny view of this stunningly beautiful island. I do hope you get to visit one day and you enjoy some good weather as I have been lucky enough to. :-)

August 9, 2016 at 10:09 am

• Wish I had the money to come out on one of your photography trips Adrian! At the moment I’m putting most of my savings into open-water swimming and hopefully getting my PADI certificate :-D I can move so much better in the water than on land ;-) Not sure I’ll ever be doing any Arctic diving though!!! I wouldn’t mind swimming around the pools where some of those Fosses fall though, the water looks very inviting :-)

August 9, 2016 at 10:25 pm

• Good luck with that Sarah. Swimming is such a good exercise for people with mobility problems and a very enjoyable past-time to boot. I would imagine Arctic diving would be fascinating but I’d worry about getting lost and trapped beneath the ice.. :-/

August 10, 2016 at 2:13 pm

• Absolutely!! I’ve done hydrotherapy at physio a number of times but it’s only ever a limited number of sessions. I’ve taken much of what I learned from the physios into how I adjust the breaststroke technique to not push past my limits but still get really good stretching on the muscles and ligaments :-) I feel good for it! Arctic diving would be a-maz-ing but it’s super specialised!! One of my aims is to dive and swim with the basking sharks down off the Cornish coast :-D Apparently the seals are a lot of fun to play alongside under the water too. I don’t think I’ll ever be as graceful or fast underwater as a seal or penguin but I’m definitely as ungainly as they are on land lol ;-)

August 11, 2016 at 12:27 am

• I imagine diving in the Arctic would be pretty specialised. I know how you feel regarding penguins and seals on land! :-)

August 11, 2016 at 3:13 pm

• Thought that might make you chuckle ;-)

August 11, 2016 at 11:43 pm

• It did! :-)

August 12, 2016 at 8:31 am

• ;-)

August 12, 2016 at 8:42 pm

35. Wonderfull Pictures ! :)

August 9, 2016 at 6:11 am

• Thank you very much indeed! :-)

August 10, 2016 at 6:52 am

36. A stunning collection of images, Adrian. Hard to pick a favourite or two but the images at midnight are spectacular, and the Jokulsarlon sunrise is special for those abstract, translucent ice sculptures floating in the water.

August 9, 2016 at 7:49 am

• Thank you Andy! It was pretty strange taking pictures at Seljalandsfoss at midnight and the ice on the beach is so incongruous somehow and all the more appealing for it I think.

August 10, 2016 at 6:53 am

37. Come sunshine, come rain, you are always able to captured the majestic landscape. Once again a handful of gorgeous images from Iceland. My favourites are the one of Jokulsarlon Sunrise and the wide angle shot of Seljalandsfoss.

August 9, 2016 at 5:35 pm

• Thank you Otto! Iceland does indeed have a majestic landscape and it has been such a pleasure to be able to capture the island in all her moods! :-)

August 10, 2016 at 6:55 am

38. What a strangely beautiful land…and so nicely captured and shared with us. Thank you, Adrian….such wonderful work. :)

August 10, 2016 at 2:01 pm

39. I think seeing the sun and the snow is the best view ever :-)

August 11, 2016 at 10:31 am

• It certainly in Gin, thank you!

August 11, 2016 at 3:13 pm

40. OMG these are stunning Adrian. I was trying to pick a favorite and I can’t. Beautiful work.

August 11, 2016 at 5:56 pm

• Thank you Edith! Iceland is a very beautiful country at all times but when the sun shines, the scenery is stunning. :-)

August 12, 2016 at 8:31 am

41. I never have enough of your photo’s

August 11, 2016 at 9:14 pm

• That’s very kind of you to say Lou, thank you! :-)

August 12, 2016 at 8:31 am

42. Beautifully done!

August 11, 2016 at 11:45 pm

43. We had to smile as we read: “Click on the images for a larger, sharper view” :-) These stunning captures are razorsharpe and deserve to end up in a XXL coffeetablebook, Adrian. Such outstanding beauties! I have a small book here with photos from Iceland by a native photographer; compared with your work it all looks dull, flat und uninspired as well as uninteresting.
    Thank you.
    Hanne and Klausbernd x

August 13, 2016 at 1:44 pm

• Dear Hanne and Klausbernd, Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I think there are many books of Iceland pictures now available but perhaps I might make this my next project for the winter. I will start to put my Iceland photos together in a book. I have started this task once already but more photographs got in the way. Perhaps I should make this my next project. I’ve been wondering what I might do next having put so much time into my panel. Have a wonderful weekend and will catch up next week! :-)x

August 13, 2016 at 3:27 pm

44. These are dazzling Adrian – you have really captured the majesty and grandeur of the landscape. Bravo

August 13, 2016 at 2:20 pm

• Thank you so much Tina. This has always been my wish, to capture this incredible landscape in all weathers though I have mainly concentrated on the shots where the drama was in the weather, it’s lovely to have experienced Iceland in the sunshine and to be able to share those pictures also. There is that extra little bit of magic happens when the sun shines! :-)

August 13, 2016 at 3:30 pm

45. Heartafire

Breathtaking photography, amazing scenes!

August 15, 2016 at 7:20 pm

46. Beautiful pics!

August 19, 2016 at 11:31 pm

47. Reat waterfalls…I like it…

August 21, 2016 at 6:06 pm

48. Just stunning!

August 22, 2016 at 1:10 am

• Iceland is an amazingly beautiful country, and when the sun shines, it’s incredible! Thank you! :-)

August 22, 2016 at 6:56 am

49. Wonderful!

August 23, 2016 at 8:50 pm

50. I just returned from an 11-day trip to Iceland around the Ring Road, and it was fabulous. So I’m thankful to Jude for sending me to your blog. Your pictures are phenomenal; they make me reconsider my aversion to going there during the winter! Wonderful all around. :-)

August 29, 2016 at 11:50 am

• I’m so glad you had a wonderful time. I’m very lucky to have now traveled route 1 around Iceland many times. My absolute favourite time to be in there is winter. The driving conditions can be interesting at times to put it mildly, especially when blizzards close in but you will have seen the yellow markers on the side of the road and these are an invaluable aid in finding your way in white out conditions. I did have an app on my phone that transmitted my location to a service run by rescue volunteers such that if I did get into difficulties, help would not be very far away. I have now made many friends in Iceland. As I’m sure you’ve discovered, the people are lovely and the landscape magnificent. I can’t wait for my next trip which will probably be in January or February. Thank you so much for your lovely comment. :-)

August 29, 2016 at 4:52 pm

• You are lucky indeed to have traveled the Ring Road many times. I can imagine it’s gorgeous in winter, and your pictures show how beautiful it is. I can’t imagine driving in it though! Did you need a 4WD for that? That service for rescue volunteers sounds invaluable! The people in Iceland are lovely and the landscape was stunning. Thanks so much for sharing your adventures and your wonderful photos. :-)

August 30, 2016 at 5:06 pm

• It’s always a pleasure and thank you again. I did indeed have a 4WD with amazing snow tyres so driving wasn’t as bad as one might imagine. :-)

August 30, 2016 at 5:23 pm

51. What an amazing gallery! Absolutely love these photos!

August 30, 2016 at 1:00 am

52. How different it all looks and feels in sunshine ChillB ! I guess that rings true for anywhere :-)
    Beautiful photographs as always xx

August 31, 2016 at 5:37 pm

• Thank you so much Poppy. I really felt that perhaps with my liking for very dramatic weather, I was maybe doing Iceland a disservice as of course, the sun does shine and the effect is magical. I really enjoyed putting this series together and remembering some very special times that we shared. :-) x

August 31, 2016 at 5:44 pm

53. A simply wonderful series ~ showing beauty that seems so unique and special, in part because you’ve taken the time to create such masterpieces. I would have to shudder a bit at the timing between sunset and sunrise as you have ~ one ends as the other begins :-) However, if the results are such scenes as the Jokulsarlon Sunrise, I’d gladly survive on little sleep!

August 31, 2016 at 6:51 pm

• Thank you so much Randal. It was a little strange being out at midnight taking photographs but with the sun so low in the sky for so many hours, the light was quite magical and of course as the sun never truly sets during the summer months, I did have some very late nights and very early mornings but on balance, it was worth sacrificing sleep for. I reasoned I could sleep when I got home. :-)

September 1, 2016 at 6:33 am

54. What a thrilling series on Iceland, Adrian. Your landscapes are masterful. I was in Scandinavia in June and wanted so much to go to Iceland, too, but will hopefully do it another time. Great post!

September 1, 2016 at 10:28 pm

• Thank you so much Jane. I hope you do get to visit Iceland one day. It’s an incredible country. You must have enjoyed Scandinavia very much. So very beautiful also! :-)

September 2, 2016 at 12:36 pm

55. What an amazing series, loved the photos so much that after looking at them I had to scroll to the top and look at them all over again. So much to discover in each photo. Love the raw nature of Island. It has always been on my wish list, but just jumped higher up on the list:)

September 3, 2016 at 7:37 pm

• Thank you very much Inger! I’m so glad you enjoyed the photographs. Iceland is an incredibly beautiful place and I hope you get to visit one day. I know that you will love it! :-)

September 4, 2016 at 6:20 am