La Florida

I’ve written two posts now about the abandoned and ruined buildings to be found on the island of  Fuerteventura.   I’ve posted a very modern abandoned apartment complex, a much older and rather grand house and now Lal Florida, the oldest of the collection of ruins I’ve come across.  Each I believe representing periods of economic hardship over generations.

La Florida is a complete abandoned and ruined village.  Found on a very narrow road that links highways FV-30 and FV-511 there’s no way of knowing why the village was abandoned and left to slowly decay or even when that happened, I’ve not been able to find any information.

It was kind of eerie walking around these buildings that were once homes for families displaced.  It would be so nice to know where they went, what happened to them.  Perhaps it all came down to modern buildings that were much more attractive to move in to.  Life in these buildings, even complete, must have been harsh

It’s been extremely difficult to whittle these photographs down to a manageable handful.  This village of La Florida was a photographer’s dream.

I’m very grateful to Lynn over at BlueBrightly, who produces the most exquisite posts with beautiful photographs that always have an eye to detail.  These last few posts have been a bit of a departure for me and it is Lynn’s work that had inspired me to take this step away from the grand vista that has hitherto, always been my focus and look a little more closely at things within the landscape rather than just the landscape itself.

All the images I’ve taken before have featured graffiti.  There was no graffiti in the village of La Florida except in the final building I entered and it consisted of a perfect blue circle.  I have absolutely no idea of it’s significance but with the shadows and the colour, it was every bit as much a piece of art as that that I’d encountered previously.

What a view these people had from their homes once upon a time though..

I hope you enjoy these images.. :-)

1. Sue

A photographer’s dream, as you say, Adrian!

September 23, 2017 at 4:09 pm

• It is indeed Sue, thank you! :-)

September 24, 2017 at 4:02 pm

• Sue

And haven’t I inspired you with old ruins?!

September 24, 2017 at 4:46 pm

• You certainly have Sue! :-)

September 24, 2017 at 4:57 pm

• Sue

Yippee!

September 24, 2017 at 5:06 pm

• :-)

September 25, 2017 at 5:42 am

2. Very interesting and all the photos are top.I can not understand why all hause be empthy

September 23, 2017 at 4:53 pm

• Thank you Lou! It is a mystery why the village was abandoned and left to dissolve into ruin.

September 24, 2017 at 4:11 pm

3. Always something sad and poignant about these abandoned places, there has to be a jolly good reason cause nobody wants to leave behind something they build up over time.

September 23, 2017 at 5:56 pm

• It is strange Paula. As I said in the post, I’ve not been able to find anything out about the village. I must perhaps try and tackle some local people but my Spanish is very, very basic and their English tends to be the same. Thank you for your comment! :-)

September 24, 2017 at 4:14 pm

4. Lovely light, great shadows and dramatic lines in your well composed photos, dear Adrian! Simply stunning and very beautiful.
    Sending you love and hugs. x

September 23, 2017 at 8:13 pm

• Thank you so much Hanne. As I said before, it’s been a challenge to change my outlook but I’m very much enjoying doing so. Sending you the same back fro Chris and myself! :-)

September 24, 2017 at 4:15 pm

5. Mmm…..Just amazing! The juxtaposition of the colours
    …the sky, the rock and wood the spaces connecting….beautiful…..different vistas 😊

September 24, 2017 at 7:57 am

• Thank you so much Trees. The wooden lintels over the doors and windows suggests that these buildings must be very old. The stonework is absolutely beautiful and it’s interesting to see modern craftsmen here, building the most exquisite walls around some very modern homes here, using exactly the same building principles.
      Parts of the UK are, of course, famous for the dry stone walling. There are dry stone walls here that go on for miles, on the edges of long extinct lava flows. Land that one would imagine has no value. It’s a complete mystery as to why they would be there.

September 24, 2017 at 4:24 pm

6. Interesting set of photos from this abandoned village. Why is the obvious question and the reason the photos are so interesting.

September 24, 2017 at 9:11 am

• Why indeed Mr Dragon. Unfortunately my Spanish is basic to say the least and the people here, particularly away from the tourist areas which I avoid like the plague, is similarly very basic. I will try and find out though. Thanks for your comment! :-)

September 24, 2017 at 4:28 pm

7. Beautiful images Adrian, the landscape and surroundings are stunning but also look quite harsh…..so perhaps it’s understandable that the village was abandoned.

September 24, 2017 at 3:26 pm

• Thank you Mark. It must indeed have been a harsh existence occupying these very basic houses. I’ve no idea how old they are but the wooden lintels on windows and doors are a clue.
      There is evidence of water being supplied from windmill like pumps, similar to you see in the wild west of America but no electricity. I will endeavour to find the reason but my Spanish really is very basic to say the least and away from the tourist areas which I avoid, the locals knowledge of English is basic also. We get by but an explanation of what happened here might be beyond our collective understanding of each other’s languages. :-)

September 24, 2017 at 4:43 pm

• Haha…..I’m the same, I can just about manage the basics, but beyond that I’m a bit stuck.

September 25, 2017 at 7:17 am

• I managed to learn fluent Japanese in my 20’s but in my 50’s, tackling Spanish, which should be a lot easier to master, nothing sticks for more than about five minutes. :-)

September 25, 2017 at 3:56 pm

8. You’re too kind – what a pleasant surprise to read this post! I find lots to like here, and would be very curious too, about the original inhabitants. I googled “La Florida, Fuereventura” and I see others have been taking pictures there from time to time. A Spanish site says – I don’t read Spanish but you can kind of put it together – the climate is extreme, maybe sometimes no rain in a year? – well water brackish – I think the rest just talks about how sunny and dry it is. That’s probably why they moved – a German site says something about a lot of goats eating all the vegetation…but still no dates. I agree that it looks old, but is it possible that this building style was used until relatively recent times on the island?
    I too love dry stone walls….and I was very struck by that blue circle, it looks like pure Yves Klein blue, just beautiful. I can imagine being out there in the harsh sunlight, dry atmosphere and quiet, and coming across the blue circle. Being impacted by it.
    I love the photo above it, with the lintel. and the stick roof, the view through the window to the other building, the texture of the wall in the 2nd & 3rd views.
    What about black and white? Or what about coming out just before the sun sets? Just throwing more ideas at you, Adrian! ;-) ;-)
    Thanks again for the kind words, and for stretching.

September 25, 2017 at 8:31 pm

• Thank you very much Lynn for your comment and the research. I would imagine if the well water turned brackish that would be enough for the inhabitants of this little community to up sticks. Many in rural areas of the country still rely on well water. You see the windmills pumping the water next to many properties.
      A sunrise or sunset trip to the village would certainly be something worth considering. Thank you for the idea! I might manage it.. :-)

September 26, 2017 at 5:24 am

9. You’ve captured the feeling of remoteness and abandonment so well, Adrian. I love how you’ve gone wide, then drilled down to the interesting textures and details. Nice shoutout to Lynn- I admire her work, as well.

September 25, 2017 at 10:03 pm

• Thank you very much Jane. I love Lynn’s work and enjoy her blog very much indeed. She has indeed inspired me to take a closer look at the inner landscape as one might term it. :-)

September 26, 2017 at 5:40 am

10. A very striking set of images, Adrian. That final blue circle mystifies me – is it just graffiti perhaps? I too have photographed abandoned buildings, you may remember the ones I showed you earlier this summer. Always one’s mind tries to imagine what it was like to live there, and why it was abandoned and where those people are now. So much that we don’t know, and never will know.

September 26, 2017 at 5:10 pm

• Thank you very much Andy. I do indeed remember your abandoned building images. They do make great subjects for photography. I too am totally mystified by the perfect blue circle. It could be graffiti but that doesn’t feel right somehow. With the rain streak walls and the light and shade, this really struck me as a piece of real art.
      Thanks to Lynn, I now have some clues as to what happened to this village. Many in Fuerteventura are totally reliant on well water. You see the windmills that pump the water attached to many properties. Lynn found an article in Spanish that spoke of the well at El Florida became brackish and the water undrinkable. A clean supply of water would naturally be essential and is the most probable reason why this community upped sticks.

September 27, 2017 at 5:13 am

11. Beautiful pictures, Adrian, so well composed and with lovely light! :) What an interesting place.

September 28, 2017 at 9:27 am

• Thank you very Camilla. I wonderful spot for some photography and the light really does help with those shadows and blue skies to offset the wonderful colours and textures of the stonework. :-)

September 28, 2017 at 4:07 pm

12. Truly a marvel at what you photograph and bring to life for us Adrian. Also, very cool to mention Lynn at Blue Brightly ~ yes, the detail is like another world. One thing the photographic community here on WP does, is to inspire us to look at things a bit differently and expand our creative eye. Cheers!

September 28, 2017 at 12:15 pm

• That’s very kind of you to say Randall, thank you. This was certainly an interesting place to photograph and you’re so right, the WP community allows us to see new and different work to our own which in turn inspires us to look toward new and interesting directions. Lynn’s work really is exquisite. :-)

September 28, 2017 at 4:21 pm

13. Nil

In another Spanish article they speak of really extreme climate conditions – that it won’t rain for a whole year at times – which would probably explain the well problem. It seems the people trying to live there could not make a living out of farming and reverted to keeping goats who then ate the sparse green that there was left… Yes, it makes me wonder, too, what happened to those people… (?)

Lovely photos, though… The best I have seen while looking for more information :-)

September 28, 2017 at 12:36 pm

• Thank you Nil. It’s interesting you mention goats as just across the road less than 250 meters away is a large goat farm. I guess they milk them for cheese. The must have had access to a different well and aquifer. I did notice that today they’d had a large delivery of huge bails of hay. There is no grass in Fuerteventura so it has to have been imported at some considerable cost I’d imagine. Thank you once again for your comment and interest! :-)

September 28, 2017 at 4:18 pm

14. Something different and cool to see :)

September 29, 2017 at 5:01 am

• Thank you Joshi. Much appreciated. :-)

September 29, 2017 at 5:31 am

15. These little mysteries are certainly intriguing. I’m afraid that if I had encountered this abandoned site, it might have haunted me. Isn’t it wonderful the influence that Lynn has had encouraging us landscape types to look a bit closer. She’s quite the inspiration.

September 30, 2017 at 3:21 am

• Thank you Gunta. Yes Lynn really is a great inspiration. She has such a wonderful eye. I have always been focused, excuse the pun, on the big picture but there is so much to look at, right at our feet. :-)

September 30, 2017 at 5:39 pm