Roller Banners

We’ve all seen them at shows, country fares, car showrooms.  The roller banner is a useful way to create an instant display anywhere.  I’ve been asked to showcase my work in a variety of settings where there wasn’t the opportunity hang pictures and these banners seemed like a good way to go so I’ve designed some for myself.

I will be at the Royal Cornwall Show this year and a number of other venues and these banners will provide an instant display.  I’ve had one printed and it worked very well.  I was glad to see the D800 earning it’s living allowing me to enlarge the photographs to 2m in height without any problem at all.

The problem I have however is which banners to print.  I have 8 designs and I only really need four so I was hoping for some help in choosing..

I’d really appreciate it if you’d vote for your favourite banner. Hovering over the banners with your mouse will give you their titles. I’ll then go ahead and have the winning four printed. Thank you for your help! :-)

1. Adrian love these. The poll would only let me vote for one so here are my picks…Cot Valley; Dalmatian; Balloon and Trevose Head.

February 24, 2014 at 1:12 am

• Thank you Edith, Really appreciate that! :-)

February 24, 2014 at 6:46 am

2. They are all really great, Adrian. As I was only allowed one vote, I voted for Wheal Cotes. It’s so instantly recognisable to anyone who knows the area.

February 24, 2014 at 2:53 am

• Thank you Sylvia. That’s a good point about Wheal Coates!

February 24, 2014 at 6:47 am

3. weedimageoftheday

I like Helman Tor and Cot Valley the best. The images are arresting with good colors and they work well with the type color.

February 24, 2014 at 3:58 am

• Good points! Thanks for taking the time. :-)

February 24, 2014 at 6:48 am

4. Can’t go wrong with dogs . . . although the Cot is a close second.

February 24, 2014 at 4:46 am

• Thank you Emilio!

February 24, 2014 at 6:48 am

5. For sure the hot air balloon. The dalmatian, then those close-up, mushroomy smooth rocks. Those are the ones I liked best with the text superimposed.

February 24, 2014 at 6:17 am

• Thank you very much Bumba!

February 24, 2014 at 6:49 am

6. These are all great Adrian…..very professional. However I voted for Cot Valley because that is just a superb image and works really well as a banner. I would also use the balloon, because the colours are so striking and the light so gorgeous – so again it makes for a great banner. I’d then have to include either Wheal Coates or Dalmatian – beach images are your signature, so you have to have one of these, however they are tonally and in subject quite similar so I’d only have one personally – I couldn’t choose they are both fantastic. For the fourth I’d choose Trevose Head – great light, lovely colours and compositionally very strong with the path leading you through the image – it also works very well in the panoramic portrait format required for the banner. Hope this helps and I wish you all the best for the show…..is that in the Summer?

February 24, 2014 at 7:34 am

• Hi Mark, Thank you. Yes the Royal Cornwall show is on the first of June. I’ve got a couple of stands to do in Truro for Mother’s day and Easter so these banners should do quite well I think. I’m tending to agree with you on your choices. The balloon was such a throw away shot but it’s really working for me now. Strange how that goes. :-)

February 24, 2014 at 4:05 pm

7. I loved the muted tones and the Dalmation (plus it highlights your pet portrait theme), but I went with balloon as a bit more eye-catching. Actually, they’re all lovely.

February 24, 2014 at 8:20 am

• Thank you very much Gunta! I’m rather partial to the dalmation shot. Standing on the beach on a freezing cold but bright sunny day, these guys ( there were two of them) were so keen to make friends and having such a fantastic time on the beach. I was so glad I was able to capture one of them at least. :-)

February 24, 2014 at 4:03 pm

8. Gede Prama

I am happy to read it. Have a beautiful day :)

February 24, 2014 at 9:05 am

• Thank you, you too!

February 24, 2014 at 4:01 pm

9. To demonstrate a cross section of your work, I think Trevose Head, Balloon, Wheal Coates and DalmationFR would be a good selection Adrian.

February 24, 2014 at 10:48 am

• Thank you Dave, good of you to take the time. Appreciate it!

February 24, 2014 at 4:01 pm

10. Tough choice! They’re all so amazing. I voted for Cot Valley, it’s such a beautiful image and it immediately captures the viewer’s interest because it’s not as “straight forward” as the others. Congratulations Adrian, I’m sure your showcase will be a big success!

February 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm

• Thank you Camilla, that’s very kind. I appreciate you taking the time to look. :-)

February 24, 2014 at 8:35 pm

11. This is a great idea, Adrian. Not sure I get all the titles right so I vote for Top right, middle left and all the bottom row.

February 24, 2014 at 11:03 pm

• Thank you Andy. Much appreciate you taking a look at these..

February 26, 2014 at 10:48 am

12. My selection would be: Balloon – loads of impact, Bedruthan – Cornwall to a T, Cot Valley – eye-catching, Wheal Coates – draws you in. Also, (and possibly more importantly?) I think that all of these work really well in the format and show a diverse range of images. Good luck with the show!

February 25, 2014 at 11:05 am

• Thank you Noeline. I really appreciate your feedback.

February 26, 2014 at 10:49 am

13. Great to see your photography getting wider recognition. How are you producing your prints?

February 25, 2014 at 8:00 pm

• Hi John. I use an R3880 pro printer at home. It’ll print up to A2 and does an excellent job.

February 26, 2014 at 10:50 am

• I’m using the same printer.

February 26, 2014 at 12:37 pm

• The price of the inks is a bit scary but they seem to be lasting very well. I print a lot of A3 and at this size, the printer really comes into its own I think.

February 26, 2014 at 4:15 pm

• Yes, I agree. What papers are you using?

February 26, 2014 at 4:29 pm

• I print a lot of A3 and USC too, as well as some longish cut pieces from rolls which the printer handles nicely.

February 26, 2014 at 4:37 pm

• I haven’t really done any experimentation with paper types. I’ve been printing on Epson Premium semi-gloss. I was looking at rolls of paper and wondering if that might be a better way to go.

February 26, 2014 at 4:46 pm

• Your work must look awesome on semi-gloss! I love the surface; the only downside is outgassing.

Using cut sheets from rolls can sometimes be tricky because you have to hand feed them from the rear. If the paper’s not fully aligned it gets rejected. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 attempts to get the paper straight.

I’d love to see your prints! So much richer than looking at the work on a monitor…

February 26, 2014 at 5:00 pm

• I had read about the alignment issues and that’s what was putting me off. I haven’t really done the sums to see how much cheaper a roll would be. As it is, Amazon do a pretty good job of discounting paper. My biggest issue with printing has been getting the brightness correct. I have a Spyder 4 Elite calibrator and I’m happy with the colour by and large but if I have my monitor brightness adjusted as suggested, the prints are too dark. I’ve had to turn the monitor right down so when I’m processing, I don’t blitz shadow detail.
        Perhaps you will get to see some prints one day. I was really sorry I couldn’t get to see your recent show. I’d imagine your black and whites come up pretty amazingly using this printer.

February 26, 2014 at 5:17 pm

• Yep, the brightness issue is definitely problematic. I believe this happens in part because it’s like comparing apples to oranges (in this case–reflected as opposed to projected images on a monitor).

Are you soft-proofing in low light? That helps.

In any event one eventually makes the brightness correction intuitively but it takes some practice.

February 26, 2014 at 5:28 pm

• What i meant to say was are you soft proofing in Photoshop in low room light (with the shades drawn)?

February 26, 2014 at 5:30 pm

• This is my P-Shp workflow for proofing images on Epson papers:

View-> Proof Setup-> Custom-> Device to Simulate (select your semi-glass paper from the profiles)-> Black point compensation checked, perceptual rendering intent selected and simulate paper color checked-> click on “okay”

Depending on the paper surface it gets much closer to the actual paper brightness, but you MUST be in low room light otherwise it looks like mud!

February 26, 2014 at 5:36 pm

• Thanks for that John, I was reading about soft proofing only last week. I’ve set the custom profile. I hadn’t considered the ambient light though. A very good tip.

February 26, 2014 at 5:40 pm

• Soft proofing is even more necessary with matte/fine art papers, if you go that direction. I’m using Epson UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper.

February 26, 2014 at 5:47 pm

• Yes I’d imagine it would be. I’ll take a look at the ultrasmooth fine art paper. I suspect it’d be good for my bleached out beachscapes..

February 26, 2014 at 6:01 pm

14. A novel and interesting idea, these banners! Another way to show off your beautiful work!

February 26, 2014 at 6:00 pm

• Thank you Elena. Definitely useful for local shows to create an instant stand to attract customers.

February 26, 2014 at 6:03 pm

15. These are really wonderful banners. I voted for the Trevose head. Your photography is amazing :)

February 27, 2014 at 3:13 pm

• Thank you Jocelyn! Appreciate you taking the time to look and vote!

March 1, 2014 at 1:14 pm

16. Hi Adrian. Just found your blog through Poppytump. Love the banners as well as the rest of your work. I voted for balloon but think the decision should depend on where you’re showing. if local then perhaps the local scenery would be a better draw but if in another area then scenes that speak for themselves like the balloon and the dog on the beach might be better draws. I also loved woods :-) Good luck!

March 4, 2014 at 10:43 pm

• The balloon is a personal favourite of mine too Tina. You make an excellent point re local content. Thank you for such a considered response. :-)

March 5, 2014 at 8:19 am