Cornwall! Wish you were here..?

This is a picture of the wide expanse of Carbis Bay from St Ives in Cornwall.  Way in the distance over on the left, you can see the little island that is home to Godrevy Lighthouse, seen a little closer up in my previous post.  This was the view that greeted Poppy and I when we visited St Ives following our dawn shoot at the lighthouse.  With a bacon, sausage and egg baguette, freshly baked of course, safely put away with a nice cup of tea to wash it down, a little sightseeing in this beautiful Cornish seaside town was in order.

The trip down to the harbour from the car park at the top of the town in my wheelchair was a little fraught given the steepness of the gradients and the lack of let downs at the kerbs.  But, we managed it with Poppy providing the required anchorage on numerous occasions.  Who needs a roller coaster when you can tour St Ives in a wheelchair?  Great fun :-D

Artists have flocked to St Ives for many years to enjoy a very special light, quite unique to the town.  St Ives is surrounded by beaches, beaches made up of fine grains of white sand that reflect the sunlight from all sides.  The amount that this reflection raises the degree of ambient light above the norm is well documented and measurable. It was as I started to process my pictures I became very much aware of it.

Seeing this little chap down on the beach building sand castles with his Dad reminded me of my holidays in Cornwall when I was a similar age.  Such wonderful memories I have and what lovely memories this little boy will also take with him throughout his life.  How wonderful is that?! More from St Ives to come.. :-)

1AT_4159A St Ives Post14mm f/16 1/100 sec. ISO-100

40px spacerCornwall Photographic Sales Logo LRPS Logodfi-dmrc-enabled-btn-white3

1. Yes wish i was here! such a beautiful place

May 24, 2014 at 9:55 pm

• Thank you Lou! Yes it is. :-)

May 25, 2014 at 3:23 pm

2. poppytump

Another exciting descent Apollo handled with aplomb :-)
    Such a vibrant and picturesque Cornish town surrounded by those top notch beaches ensures its popularity with tourists … so it was good to arrive early ChillB , and what better start to the rest of the day than discussing our battle with the elements at Godrevy Lighthouse whilst demolishing those delicious breakfast baguettes sat in sunshine next to the harbour at St Ives . Fabulous .
    ‘Twas a great day out at the seaside :-)

May 24, 2014 at 10:19 pm

• ‘Twas a grand day out at the seaside indeed! For quite a while there I thought we’d never make it to the bottom of the town and that beautiful sandy harbour but we did and that breakfast, one of those truly memorable ones! Thanks for hanging on.. I’d have shot clean across the bay and back to Godrevy if you hand’t! :-D

May 25, 2014 at 3:23 pm

3. Utterly spectacular! And truly memory making. Not to mention the wonderful capture of the scene! :)

May 24, 2014 at 11:02 pm

• Thank you so much Gunta! :-)

May 25, 2014 at 3:20 pm

4. Zara

I absolutely love visiting Cornwall…so much peace:)

May 24, 2014 at 11:45 pm

• Thank you Zara. I think Cornwall is a lot, lot busier than it used to be but you can still find peace if you know where to look.. :-)

May 25, 2014 at 3:20 pm

5. Wow! this is a really amazing shot, Adrian. Such sweet memories you have of your childhood. We had holidays in Cornwall, but my dad hated being on the sand, and always kept his socks and shoes on. :D At least I had my sister to help me build sand castles.

May 25, 2014 at 8:56 am

• Thank you very much Sylvia. I think an awful lot of people in the UK have Cornish holiday memories. I’m sure the weather was better when we were children but it was a beautiful day, the day I took this picture so I’m sure that sunny will be how the little boy remembers his time here, even if it rained for the rest of the week. The time on the beach will be what sticks I’m sure. It was for me. :-)

May 25, 2014 at 11:26 am

• Isn’t it funny that in our memories of childhood, summer days always used to be hot and sunny? :)

May 25, 2014 at 11:46 am

• It is one of those strange things Sylvia. My Mum assures me that on our visits to Cornwall she was forever bundling us up to shelter in a cave while the heavens opened.. I don’t remember that, just the sand and the sea! :-)

May 25, 2014 at 3:28 pm

• :)

May 25, 2014 at 3:47 pm

6. Beautiful shot, Adrian! And Yes :)

May 25, 2014 at 9:40 am

• Thank you Camilla. It’s raining stair rods today so not such a great day to be on the beach but Cornwall certainly had its moments! :-)

May 25, 2014 at 11:28 am

7. Thanks Mum! :-)

May 25, 2014 at 11:27 am

8. A truly beautiful photograph, Adrian….that light blue water makes this look like an Island Paradise from some other corner of the globe and not your beloved Cornwall. And yes, I too, would love to be there! :)

May 25, 2014 at 12:49 pm

• It would be worth the trip Scott. I love St Ives. It can get very, very busy in the summer months but we caught it early in the season on a beautiful day and it’s quite magical! :-)

May 25, 2014 at 3:27 pm

9. You and Poppy are becoming quite the team Adrian! Beautiful capture as always. And you’ve described your day so well I felt like I was there with you!

May 25, 2014 at 1:22 pm

• Thank you Tina! It was such a great week and I’ve only got as far as Tuesday.. :-)

May 25, 2014 at 3:26 pm

10. I could flock there. I guess the water is too cold to dip my toe in, but the beach is certainly to enjoy. Nice photo.

May 25, 2014 at 1:50 pm

• The water in the bay is a little chilly but plenty of people swim. It does look more like the tropics than our northern latitude would suggest however! Thank you Bente! :-)

May 25, 2014 at 3:25 pm

11. Miss Cornwall so much, will maybe make it back this summer for a quick visit, photography and family.

May 25, 2014 at 5:03 pm

• I hope you do! :-)

May 25, 2014 at 6:36 pm

12. Finally I have a minute to visit my friends – I just saw Poppy’s photos, which were just excellent! How wonderful that you two have this collegial, rewarding relationship – and we get to see some of the results! But she didn’t tell us about the sandwich – sounds good! I continue to admire your ability to get out there, wheelchair or not, and to talk about the challenges in a simple, matter-of-fact manner. I found the bit about the white sand reflecting light interesting – makes sense, it really does. Sometimes in my nature photos these days, in spring, I see a green cast from all the green everywhere! Sublte stuff,light. And then there’s your photograph – a very beautiful study, with its sweep and buoyant light. Lovely!

May 26, 2014 at 1:30 am

• Thank you Lynn! That’s very kind. It was a lovely morning. We have a documentary series runs here called ‘Coast’ and I remember when they stopped off at St Ives, one of the presenters, a superb artist incidentally, talked about the light and had some kind of measuring device to prove the point. The light is fabulous and makes so much difference to a painting and a photograph! :-)

May 26, 2014 at 11:49 am

13. Cornwall at its best – who wouldn’t want to be there?! :)

May 26, 2014 at 9:03 am

• Absolutely. One of those days, early in the season so not too busy, well, not busy at all as evidenced by the one little boy and his dad on the beach. Perfect! :-)

May 26, 2014 at 11:45 am

14. YorkshireRascal

a beautiful coastal scene

May 26, 2014 at 5:56 pm

• Thank you Mitch, it is indeed! :-)

May 26, 2014 at 8:25 pm

15. Beautiful! Yes, I wish I was there… 😊

May 26, 2014 at 6:53 pm

• Thank you Marie! Nice to hear from you, I hope all is well! I haven’t been getting notifications of your posts for some reason.. All fixed now I hope. :-)

May 26, 2014 at 8:27 pm

16. Love the airiness and spaciousness of so many of your pieces.

May 26, 2014 at 6:54 pm

• Thank you John, I’m really enjoying the way the 14-24mm lens is allowing me to capture that sense of space that certainly I feel when I’m at the coast. Worth every penny, I wouldn’t be without this lens now! :-)

May 26, 2014 at 8:49 pm

17. how dramatic colorful and beautiful :)

May 27, 2014 at 7:06 am

• Thank you very much Joshi!

May 27, 2014 at 7:26 am

18. Quintessential Cornwall; a cove with a view. We spent a week of our Honeymoon in St Ives way back in ’71. Spent a day there a few years back when we were in Cornwall to greet our son who was cycling from John O’Groats to Land’s End. We could barely move for the crowds. Must get back there out of season. A beautiful image, Adrian. A cloud full of fluffy clouds is always a special sky.

May 27, 2014 at 7:47 am

• Thanks Andy. I have to say I was surprised when we visited that there were not more people. The last couple of times I’d been it was way too busy. Early in the season is obviously favourite although given the last 5 very wet summers here, I’m surprised we’ve any visitors at all.

May 27, 2014 at 2:58 pm

19. It looks almost tropical. Who wouldn’t want to be there!?
    Glorious in every way.

May 28, 2014 at 2:49 am

• Thank you so much Karen. It was one of those days when it was quiet and the weather was perfect. The water’s a little on the cool side here but that’s the only drawback.
      :-)

May 28, 2014 at 3:39 pm

20. Interesting a 14mm lens I could do with the 14 to 24mm from my property shots – how do you find it Adrian?

May 28, 2014 at 12:48 pm

• Hi Scott,
      The Nikkor f2.8 14-24mm is an absolutely awesome lens. I can’t believe how sharp it is or how versatile it is. From the dandelion macro I took with it a few posts back to the photo this comment is attached to and everything in between it excels. Distortion is an issue but I did a post on converging verticals a while back that shows just how easily it can be fixed in Photoshop with very little loss. For property and architecture you couldn’t go wrong. I couldn’t quite believe the phenomenal depth of field you can achieve with this lens also when I first started using it. You can focus on a rock 30cm from the lens (it’s a bit freaky how close you can get to your foreground interest) and both the rock and the cottage three miles away up on the hill will be sharp. I think you’d have an awful lot of fun with this lens Scott.

May 28, 2014 at 3:36 pm

• Yes I saw your converging verticals piece – I use perspective warp in house shots quiet regularly – I did look at the Sigma 10-20 mm until I realised it was a DX lens and have now moved my thinking to the 14-24 mm as it would slot in to my 24-85 mm very nicely. Thanks for the feedback Adrian appreciated

May 28, 2014 at 4:06 pm

• You’re welcome Scott. This lens is expensive but worth every penny for me. Did you see the Ken Rockwell review? It’s worth a read if you haven’t. I think that article swayed it for me.

May 28, 2014 at 4:56 pm

• I’m not reading his articles Adrian they turn out too expensive to read ;-)

May 28, 2014 at 5:08 pm

• I know what exactly what you mean! :-)

May 28, 2014 at 7:08 pm

21. I wish I was there too!:)

May 28, 2014 at 5:02 pm

• It is a beautiful spot Elena! Thanks for commenting. :-)

May 28, 2014 at 7:09 pm

22. It’s definitely a place I could spend some time at. Looks so inviting and like a summer’s dream. Another gorgeous picture. Fun to see where the previous post taken – from a different vantage point. :-)

May 29, 2014 at 3:36 pm

• Thank you very much Otto. It is a beautiful place but a little busy for my liking in season. It was quite a different day the St Ives side of the bay to the lighthouse, once the sun was up. :-)

May 29, 2014 at 3:39 pm

23. Dramatic clouds, strong colors! Love the scenery!
    Great edit!

May 29, 2014 at 5:58 pm

• Thank you very much Hans!

May 29, 2014 at 6:53 pm

24. I really like your photo and your description of St Ives and Carbis Bay is spot on. I was in St Ives last week. We own a self catering flat in the Downalong area :-)

May 29, 2014 at 8:16 pm

• Thank you Rhys. It’s a lovely place, just gets a little too busy at times. Must be nice to have a flat there though. Great in the off season I’d imagine! :-)

June 3, 2014 at 5:56 am

25. m88

Juust want too say your article is as astonishing. Thhe clearness in your submit
    is simply spectacular and that i can think you’re knowledgeable onn this
    subject. Well together witth your permission allow me to grasp
    yolur feed tto stay up to date with approaching post. Thank you
    one million and please keep up tthe rewarding work.

September 8, 2014 at 6:05 am

• Thank you very much. I appreciate that.

September 8, 2014 at 2:58 pm